Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Dance Off!

So... November 3rd and 4th are big big holidays here. The 3rd is the separation of Panama from Columbia and the 4th is flag day. Of course there are big parties all around the country and my site is no exception. It is mainly celebrated by a ceremony at the school to commemorate the day and then a parade (in Taimati it was a different ceremony each day, but the same parade two days in a row. Hey! When you are going to have town parades you should go all out!...twice in a row!). Then for the rest of the day people are going about their business and hanging out with games such as a sack race, or climbing a tall greased pole to claim the prize up top. It was a pretty fun day overall! Here are some photos to share the time with you.

Leading the parade

Our renowned drum line

These girls got to use fans. They definitely had the best gig.
I almost forgot to mention! In the evening there was a baile (dance) with a competition. First place prize was a 5 pound chicken, so of course I had to enter the competition! And what do ya know, I won! 

My dance partner and prize chicken! (I think I got the comedy vote)

No comments:

Post a Comment